News arrow Rugby League arrow Amateur RL arrow Egremont march on in Challenge Cup
Egremont march on in Challenge Cup PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Thursday, 16 February 2017

EGREMONT will be west Cumbria’s only amateur representative in the third round of the Ladbroke’s Challenge Cup.

They were drawn away to League One side York City Knights in the tie on February 26 while fellow amateurs West Hull or Thatto Heath will host Whitehaven after they have settled their delayed second round tie. Workington Town go to fellow league One side Newcastle Thunder. 

While Egremont were scoring an excellent 28-18 win at Wigan St. Patrick’s, neighbour Kells had the heartbreak of losing 16-14 in extra time to Rochdale Mayfield.

Egremont will join Workington Town, Whitehaven and Barrow in the draw along with seven other amateur sides and the rest of the teams from League One.

It was a great performance from John-Paul Brocklebank’s Egremont side as they had been slow to get the journey out of their legs and had gone 10-0 behind in the first ten minutes.

Things were looking ominous for the Cumbrians when Mike Scrivens and Tom Woodcock went in for tries, one of which was converted by Jamie Bristoe.

Rhys Davies signalled Egremont’s intentions with a try to cut the deficit, which Matty Bewsher converted but the hosts scored a third try by Carl Southan, which went unconverted.

There were only two points in it at half-time, though, as Egremont came strongly again with a second try, this one by Callum Aitken, and again Bewsher converted.

It was nip and tuck at the start of the second-half as Aitken briefly edged Egremont ahead with his second try on 53 minutes and just past the hour Southan scored his second for St. Pats.

Still trailing 18-16 entering the last eight minutes Egremont produced a big finish. Leon Crellin and James McDonald both got over for tries, which were converted by Bewsher, and in the end the visitors had plenty in hand.

Kells had the misfortune to lose to their bogey team Rochdale Mayfield when the visitors landed the golden point penalty in extra-time.

Ross Gainford had landed a penalty in the last minute of the game to take the tie into extra time but it was Zac Hartley who won it for the visitors with the clinching penalty in extra time.

Rochdale Mayfield, who host Barrow in the League One Cup at the week-end, had done the Conference Premier double over Kells last season but this one could have gone either way, with the lead changing hands five times.

Reece O’Neill had given Kells the lead with an unconverted try on 16 minutes but Rochdale drew level with a try by Lewis Sheridan seven minutes before the break

However Kells had the lead at the break when Gainford popped over a penalty almost on the whistle.

In a topsy turvy  second-half Rochdale got in front with a try by Kieran Hamer before Kells hit back with a touchdown from David Lowrey, converted by Gainford.

There were only seven minutes left when Mayfield edged in front again with a try by Matty Ashton which Hartley converted.

Gainford’ late equaliser sent the teams into extra-time where Hartley grabbed the glory for the visitors.

Surprisingly beaten by Haydock in the Challenge Cup, Wath Brow suffered more home agony in the Xamax BARLA National Cup when they lost 18-14 to Orrell St. James.

They had led 8-6 just before the break thanks to two tries from Greg Howland with St. James replying through a try by Jake McHugh and conversion from Brad Roby.

But the visitors were able turn round ahead 10-8 when Kyle Topping went over for an unconverted try.

Five minutes after the restart Hornets were in trouble when Jake Williams sliced tough for his side’s third try for a 14-8 lead.

In their best spell Wath Brow fought back and drew level with a try by James Dixon which Curtis Teare improved.

But St. James clinched their place in round three with the winning try 15 minutes from time as Roby escaped the clutches of the home defence to touchdown.

Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >